Change of Name

An individual may call themselves by any name that they want so long as in doing so they do not intend that this would be done to deceive someone or to inflict a loss on someone.

There is in fact no special document that is needed for this, however, it is usual to document the change so that there is evidence that can be produced to anyone who needs to see it. The document is usually either called a "Change of Name Deed" or a "Deed Poll".

The templates supplied are quite straightforward and simply need to be filled in specifying the original and assumed names and then to be signed - they need to be signed using both the original and assumed names. Templates are supplied for either changing a forename or a surname.

The templates are suitable for a person over the age of 18 years and being a British citizen.

Once the Deed Poll has be signed and witnessed you will need to produce it or copies of it to those that need to know about your change of name eg passport, driving licence, banks and building societies.

UnZip UnZip
Documents will download as zipped files and will unzip to Word documents.
You will need a zip utility to unzip the document - Windows XP and above contain a built in utility.
WinZip WinZip
World Pay
Maestro MasterCard Visa Visa Debit Visa Electron
The documents available on this site have been prepared for use in England & Wales. They may not be valid if used in other areas.